08 March 2010

I'm on Scrap Scene ...

I'm so thrilled to have an article out on Scrap Scene.  I've copied it out below - if you want to see the original it is here.

Scrapbook Your Interests – Without Words

In celebration of Get It Scrapped’s 2nd birthday, we’re offering Scrap Your Story free for the next 11 weeks. Look for a new lesson (with quotes, exercises, and journaling prompts) every Tuesday. Try the approach below for a fun way to represent your interests without words.

Representing Me, by Jane Howden

Jane Howden is a scrapbooker living an hour north of Sydney, Australia. She’s currently teaching a free, year-long class at Get It Scrapped! called The Street Where You Live.

My son returned home from school the other afternoon with a project. He needed to find four items that truly represented him – his personality, interests and/or hobbies – things that told the story of who he was, without the use of words.

The next day his teacher would randomly hold up the items from each child, and the classmates would try to guess who they belonged to. There would be no clues given and no names mentioned – the students needed to really think hard about each class member and work it out based only on how well they knew each other.

What a cool idea, I thought. Would my son’s friends be able to guess which items were his? Did they truly know his personality and what he liked to do? I shouldn’t have worried – the combination of Lego pieces, a Playstation memory card, Club Penguin game cards, and swimming goggles were a dead given away.

This got me thinking. What small items I could come up with that would truly represent me? Naturally as most everything I do ultimately comes back to how I can apply this to scrapbooking, I was also pondering how I could portray this on a layout.

This is what I came up with.



Can you tell that my name starts with “J” – that I’m a country girl from Australia who loves all things crafty, is fond of teddy bears, drinking milk, a nice cup of coffee, and being out in the sunshine and fresh air? Have you worked out that I am into family history, vintage memorabilia, listening to music, travelling and my family?

Why don’t you put together a similar layout that represents different facets of you and your personality? It’s a fun exercise. Size your layout to suit your own needs—it could be an entire 12” x 12” page, it could be 4 squares or 9 or 12 or perhaps you might use circles instead. It is a wonderful way to use up some of the paper scraps you have by the boxful. Oh, and it is certainly yet another page ticked off for your “Book of Me” album. This would also look terrific framed. Try it!


Some quotes about personal interests

- Each lesson in “Scrap Your Story” includes quotes—not necessarily for putting onto your pages, but, rather, to be used to trigger thoughts about what you might include on your pages. Here are several quotes that pertain specifically to personal interests.

- The whole secret of life is to be interested in one thing profoundly and in a thousand things well.” –Horace Walpole

- A person with a hundred interests is twice as alive as one with only fifty and four times as alive as the man who has only twenty-five” -Norman Vincent Peale

- My passions were all gathered together like fingers that made a fist. Drive is considered aggression today; I knew it then as purpose. -Bette Davis

- You must learn day by day, year by year, to broaden your horizon. The more things you love, the more you are interested in, the more you enjoy, the more you are indignant about, the more you have left when anything happens. -Ethel Barrymore

- The road to happiness lies in two simple principles; find what interests you and that you can do well, and put your whole soul into it – every bit of energy and ambition and natural ability you have. -John D. Rockefeller

No comments: